Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Quintessential Badass

Went to see Patti Smith last night at a beautiful old theater in downtown San Diego. She read from her award-winning book, Just Kids, (if you haven't read it, read it now) and sang a few songs with her bassist and guitarist in tow, and answered some questions, and sang again. She speaks her mind, is awkwardly charming, and funny, and lovely, and so incredibly talented, and so extraordinarily bad ass.

The theater was packed. There was a standing ovation when she walked on stage. Every excerpt elicited a deafening round of applause. Every joke, a laugh. Every song, a singalong. Every hand went up during the Q&A. And everyone stood at the end. Again. As we were walking out, Calm said, "I would travel just about any distance to hear her do Because the Night." Yeah, me too. It's songwriting genius and to hear her perform it acoustically was a few minutes of musical zen. I said to Calm, "I gotta admit, I'm sort of feeling like I should never write again. I was - am - intimidated by how seemingly easily she inhabits her utter awesomeness. Or maybe, write every single thought I have! When she was reading the passage about the time her family took her away to the beach, right after Mapplethorpe's death, when she thought her grief was only apparent to herself, I was in tears. I was transfixed on her story, but couldn't help myself from thinking about all the things I wanted to write about my people and my grief and my adventures and my joys and wishing I had a pen and a notebook or that I could secretly use the voice recorder on my phone." It was maybe the perfect way to spend a Saturday night.

Listened to Nick Lowe's fantastic and latest record, The Old Magic on the way home (if you haven't heard it, download it now). Maybe the perfect thing to be listening to right now. I slept hard, and I dreamed. I haven't had a dream in, I don't even know how long. Years maybe.

Spent the afternoon at the dog park today. Maybe the perfect way to spend this typically beautiful California afternoon.


And, I guess I'll be writing a few things down too.

No comments:

Post a Comment