Friday, November 16, 2012

Here Comes The Sun

Birthdays are no longer a laughing matter. Don’t get me wrong, I’m hella grateful to still be having them, and especially so since too many people I love don’t get to any more. This year’s though is particularly, I hesitate to use the word difficult but, difficult. Not just because of the age, although I now completely understand why my mom has been thirty-nine for forty-nine years, but also because I'm feeling more than a little homesick today. I really like to celebrate a birthday -- difficult one or not -- a celebration is necessary and required, and if I were back east right now, there’d be a-party a-happenin’.

But I just could not decide what form said celebration should take this year. Not gonna lie, I kind of wanted to have a big party. But, I secretly wanted someone else to take care of all the details. The problem with being the new girl in town is everyone you know, and everyone you sort of know, already has their own life going on and you’re not actually a part of it. And the only thing sadder than having to throw yourself a party, is throwing yourself a party and no one coming. 

So instead, this year's birthday will be remembered for all its quiet, little, personal gifts: On Monday, there was health - Mother Nature gave me an absolutely perfect morning for yoga in the park. Tuesday, satisfaction - Spent the day volunteering for a wonderful organization with an equally wonderful cause. Wednesday, prosperity - I became gainfully employed! Twice! Thursday, happiness - By way of a gluten-free pumpkin and cream cheese frosted birthday cupcake. Friday, love - I'll be partaking of my newest (and new favorite) celebratory ritual, blood orange margaritas at the beach at sunset. Saturday, friendship - Spending the evening with friends, and friends of friends, celebrating another's hard work, good fortune, and new life. And Sunday, beauty - The Mapplethorpe exhibit at The Getty Center. You know, there may be something to this quiet, little, personal gifts idea.

Maybe, if I'm fortunate enough to get to next year's anniversary of my birth, I'll celebrate with a big party. But then again, maybe not. Either way, here's to one more adventure around the sun.



 

2 comments:

  1. This made me cry. I had a big birthday (alas, you were in your new home), and someone else took care of the details. And it was one of the best times of my life (I sang with Chuck Prophet! Yea!).

    An old friend of mine is sort of a new friend again, and we were talking today at lunch about what we did for the holiday and what we're going to do for this and that day. She was going with J to get a Christmas tree on Saturday—an annual tradition. She had day-after-Thanksgiving dinner with L—an annual tradition. She went to the movies with E, another anual tradition. She's having a party, an annual tradition to which I'd never been invited. Someone is off the list, and I'm newly on it. Despite how long we've known each other, it's still tough to squeeze into someone else's life.

    But you will, and it'll be soon.

    I sometimes dream of running off to join a band or live on the beach, but the birthdays (and the girl child and dogs and husband and all my stuff) keep me here.

    ReplyDelete