Sunday, November 11, 2012

Girl Power

Spending a night out with girlfriends is such a great idea. Some laughs, a lot of laughs usually. Some food, never enough. Some drinks, typically one too many. Some conversation, even when it inevitably turns into boy talk. You just hardly ever regret a night out with the girls. Had one last night and it was all that. And a bag of chips.

I am constantly reminded how important it is to nurture your girlfriend relationships as conscientiously as you would one with any man. And girlfriends is such a broad (every pun intended) group too – your sister, or niece, or mom, or cousin, or aunt, or coworker, or classmate, or female soon not to be stranger – all have girlfriend potential. It always makes me sad to hear a teenage girl say she has more male friends than female. Now I’m well aware that teenage girls can be horrible to one another, I was one and suffered many and spent countless hours with dozens of them day in and day out in my last job. But the happiest teen girls and the happiest grown woman I have ever known are the ones who have strong girlfriend relationships. And lots of them. I’ve been so incredibly lucky throughout my life to have especially great female friends. Some are blood, some might as well be, and one is gone.

It’s cliché to say, but I’m gonna say it anyway, I wouldn’t be the person I am without the woman who’ve supported me, cheered me on, cheered me up, comforted me, put me in my place, laughed with me, laughed at me, gone adventuring with me, and who I can trust with my Facebook password.

You know, in case of emergency…only they know to break the proverbial glass.




No comments:

Post a Comment