Monday, December 10, 2012

Soul Salvation by Fiver


Last Friday would have been my brother’s sixty-first birthday. I can’t even wrap my head around that fact. In my mind, he is forever thirty-something. He was fifty-four when he died, but he was thirty-something to me, even then.

I didn’t remember my brother’s birthday on Friday. It’s the first time I didn’t remember his birthday, on his birthday. I was super busy on Friday, kid and puppy sitting for a friend all day long and then hideous traffic getting back to the Valley from West Hollywood that made my commute twice as long as it should have been. Had been planning on driving out to the desert that night, but by the time I finally made it home, I was too worn out to even pack. And, if that all sounds like bad excuses for missing my brother’s birthday, it’s because there’s no excuse for not remembering my brother’s birthday.

I remembered on Saturday, because Saturday would have been my dad’s eighty-eighth birthday. Or as my dad would have said, just to get a rise out of my mom, the first day of his eighty-ninth year. I was finally packed and on my way to the desert, and talking on the phone with my X when I realized. I was astonished. And devastated. X tried to make me feel better by telling me it was a good thing, it meant I was moving on or something like that. Nice try. But, I never want to move that far. I spent the bulk of the rest of my drive in tears, completely guilt-ridden.

My first stop in the desert was to pick up The Empress Mr. Chin. We were going to run some errands for her party the following day. I began unburdening my guilty soul to her the second she got into the car, when we turned the first corner from her house and there he was, my brother, in his usual form - a small, brown, adorable bunny. My heart and guilty soul felt lighter the second I saw him. I stopped the car and watched him hop across Mr. Chin's neighbor’s yard and into the bushes and realized I was smiling.

Happy birthday, big brother, and thank you, for letting me off the hook so quickly, and much too easily. It was just like you.



1 comment: