Saturday, September 29, 2012

Welcome to California

I’m pretty sure that's what the sign on the highway said as I drove across the state line from Arizona. It was six o'clockish p.m. and the sun glare was so intense that sign could have said just about anything and I wouldn't have known the difference. The first thing that happens when you cross into California, well other than the overwhelming relief and joy of making it across the entire country all alone without so much as a single flat tire, or a single random terrible who knows what that could have so easily been your fate (severe thunderstorms notwithstanding), is the agricultural inspection check point. Californians pass straight through with a wave. Out-of-towners like me have to stop for a little chat. "You actually coming all the way from Maryland?” was my greeting from the adorable state government employee who was an absolute ringer for -- wait for it -- Lloyd Dobler!!! "I am, yes," I said with a big smile. "How was your trip," Lloyd asked me. "Really good, thanks. So happy to finally be here". "Well, we're happy to have you," Lloyd said, with a big smile on his face. Then he asked me all the standard are you transporting any plants, pets, chemicals, blah, blah, blah questions. To be honest, I didn't hear a word he said. Just like the sun glare and welcome sign, Lloyd Dobler just told me he was happy to have me in California!

I really hope I didn't transport any stowaway stinkbugs.

You'd think the next thing that happens would pale in comparison, right? Nope:



I got to enjoy this most beautiful sunset for an entire hour. That's what happens when you're driving in the direction of the setting sun. Thank you Universe. Thank you for the most wonderful welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment