Sunday, April 14, 2013

An Even Wilder Kingdom

I realize I run the risk of becoming Marlin Perkins here, but I gotta tell ya, my yard is amazing! Yesterday, I discovered I don't just have the two roadrunner lovebirds living in my yucca bush, I also have both species of roadrunners, the Greater Roadrunner and the Lesser Roadrunner, in my yard. The lovebirds living in my yucca bush are the Greater Roadrunners, but I've seen an adorable little Lesser Roadrunner two days in a row now. It's kind of blowing my mind! I've had zero luck getting a good photo of either of these guys, but I've had lots of luck getting mediocre ones. Like this one of one of the lovebirds:



I spent the late morning and early afternoon today tearing down some old fencing and doing some general yard clean up. This involved lots of wire cutting and hauling and moving pieces of wood from one pile to another. That's where the scorpion comes in. He was having an afternoon nap or something underneath a previously discarded, but yet to be hauled away, fence post. I fear he might have the misfortune of being one of the Greater Roadrunner's dinner tonight. Again, no luck getting a good photo, but I think if you click on this one to make it bigger you'll find him, right smack dab in the center:


This evening I was sitting at my desk, listening to "Ted Quinn's Sunday Evening Variety Show" on Radio Free Joshua Tree and gazing out my big picture window when this sweet guy came hopping by for a visit:


Apparently, he was hungry:


Luckily for him, not for scorpions.

It was a really good day at the Double D Ranch and Wild Kingdom Desert Critter Sanctuary.

No comments:

Post a Comment